Brief Background: The Division of Environmental Protection currently consists of two sections:
- Waste/Pollution Management
Waste Management & Pollution Control is currently funded by the Vanuatu government with some assistance and collaboration from JICA through J-PRISM Project. The Ozone Project is currently funded by UNEP under the Montreal Protocol and Vienna conventions for Ozone Depleting Substances (ODS).
Vision: Safe and clean Vanuatu
Mission: An environmental sustainable Vanuatu in which all types of wastes are control, collected, reused, recycled and treated by environmental sound technologies suited to local conditions and waste going to landfill is minimized and pollution to the receiving environment, is within acceptable standards.
- To implement the National Waste Management Strategy and Action Plans 2016-2020
- To implement the Acts for Pollution Control No. 10 of 2013 and Waste Management No. 24 of 2014
- To develop and improve facilities for disposal in all provinces of Vanuatu
- To develop and implement waste management programmes for different target groups to foster behavioral change
- To develop strategies and programmes for chemical and hazardous waste management
- To implement the Ozone Layer Protection Act of 2010.
Current Regional Projects:
- J-PRISM – Japan Technical Assistance on Promotion of Regional Initiative for Solid Waste Management
- Pacwaste project on chemicals and hazardous waste management
- Global Monitoring Plan on Persistent organic pollutant phase II (GMPII)
Current Laws and Policy documents:
- Ozone Layer Protection Act 2010
- Pollution Control Act 2013
- Waste Management Act 2014
- National Waste Management Strategy and Action Plans 2016 – 2020
Related International Conventions